1. Q:  Are there any objective discussion boards regarding and comparing the various brands of suppressors?
    A:  Yes, one of the most visited is www.silencerforum.com. Thunder Beast Arms, www.thunderbeastarms.com also invites dialogue on their discussion board.

  3. Q:  When did Michigan become a “legal” state for suppressor ownership, and how does one acquire a suppressor in Michigan?
    A:  Michigan became “legal” on September 2, 2011. You can view the details of this question (and answer) by clicking under the “SUPPRESSOR” heading, and then clicking on
    “How to Acquire a Suppressor”.
  4. Q: What is “first round pop” (FRP)?
    A:  The first round that goes through a suppressor, during a series of shots, is a little less suppressed, as it burns up the gases. The subsequent rounds are quieter. This is common with any suppressor or caliber of bullet, especially the monocore suppressors (as opposed to the baffle-stack suppressors).
  5. Q: Many manufacturers, including AAC and Silencerco provide adapters, pistons, and other inserts allowing the shooter to use a larger caliber suppressor on a smaller caliber rifle or pistol. For example, you can use the AAC 762-SDN-6 on both an AR10 and an AR15. Is there, therefore, any difference between using a dedicated 5.56 suppressor on an AR15 vs. using the 7.62 (AR10) suppressor on a 5.56 AR15?
    A:  In order to maximize the utmost available suppression, you should use the “dedicated” suppressor for your caliber. HOWEVER, the difference between using the larger suppressor on a smaller caliber is so minimal, that many folks cannot tell the difference. A true advantage of using the larger suppressor on both calibers is that you only have to purchase ONE suppressor, and two adapters. As an example, lets’s say you have a 5.56 rifle and a 7.62 rifle (that can both use a 7.62mm suppressor); or a pair of .40cal and 9mm pistols (that can both use the .40cal suppressor). This saves you money by precluding the need for two suppressors, and TWO BATFE tax stamps (each stamp is $200). This option is available for both rifles and pistols, by many of the high-end suppressor companies. Ask us for details.
  6. Q: If I purchase a suppressor, what is the fee to BATFE?
    A:  Each suppressor you purchase requires a $200 BATFE tax stamp.
  7. Q: What is the fee for a Serbu Super Shorty, Safety Harbor Shorty, or other “A.O.W.” (Any Other Weapon), and are these now legal in Michigan?
    A:  While the BATFE fee for suppressors and automatic weapons is $200, the fee for an A.O.W. is only $5.00. Yes, these have been legal in Michigan since December, 2005. However, they should not be confused with Short Barrel Shotguns (SBS), which still require a $200 tax stamp.
  8. Q: Are short barrel rifles (SBR) or short barrel shotguns (SBS) legal in Michigan yet?
    A:  YES !! The easiest way to acquire one, is to purchase an SBR or SBS that’s already registered with NFA. They’re about the same price as any new AR. However, it IS possible, with a lot of paperwork and “re-marking your receiver” to convert your AR to an SBR.
  9. Q: Can I use my .223/5.56 suppressor on my .22LR rifle?
    A:  No. Most .223/5.56 suppressors cannot be disassembled, and really don’t need to be, either. That’s because the worst that can build up inside the suppressor is carbon, and can easily be ultrasonically cleaned out if need be. However, most folks shoot UN-jacketed .22LR in their .22LR rifles, which definitely leaves lead deposits, which, if they break free, can deviate your subsequent bullets, causing baffle-strikes. Therefore, most .22LR suppressors can be disassembled for cleaning. The exception is the Thunder Beast 22L-1, which cannot be disassembled. That company does offer a “cleaning” program for this suppressor whereby you can ship your 22L-1 suppressor back to them annually for free cleaning.
  10. Q: Can I use the same suppressor on my .22LR pistol and my .22LR rifle?
    A:  Absolutely.
  11. Q: What is a “Nielson device” (aka “suppressor piston”)?
    A:  In order to facilitate proper cycling of semi-automatic pistols, a good pistol suppressor incorporates a “spring loaded” piston of some type. This should NEVER be used on a fixed barrel firearm, such as the typical rifle. “Fixed barrel” adapters are available for many of the pistol suppressors. A good example would be the Silencerco Octane 9HD or 45HD, which can be used on any 9mm or .45cal pistol, or fixed barrel rifle and/or subgun (i.e. MP5, Uzi, M11-9) because Silencerco provides two types of inserts, depending upon the firearm.
  12. Q: Does an integrated suppressor (one that is permanently built right into the pistol or rifle) offer more suppression?
    A:  As a general rule, yes. Our favorite integrally suppressed .22LR pistol is the AWC Amphibian, while our favorite integrally suppressed .22LR rifle is the AWC Ultra II.
  13. Q: Does a pistol or rifle with an integrated suppressor still require a $200 BATFE tax stamp?
    A:  Yes.
  14. Q: What is the wait time, these days, for BATFE approval if I purchase a suppressor, A.O.W., or fully automatic weapon?
    A:  About 6-9 months. Transfers using an NFA Trust move towards the quicker end of the range.
  15. Q: Does Tigon III Enterprises, Inc. charge a dealer processing fee for NFA paperwork?
    A:  Yes and no. If you purchase the item from us, there is no charge for dealer processing of the paperwork, unless you are registering the item under a Firearms Trust. If you purchase a suppressor from out-of-state, and have it transferred into Michigan through us, we charge you $90.00, if it’s registered to one individual. If it’s being registered to a Trust, the base fee is $100 PLUS $35 for each person’s background-check paperwork, listed in the Trust. This new law became effective as of July 13, 2016. If it’s an A.O.W. from out-of-state, it’s $90.00. If it’s a fully automatic firearm, being transferred from out-of-state, the base transfer fee is $125 for an individual or a Firearms Trust. If it’s a Trust, add $35 per person listed in the Trust. As you can see, transferring a Class III firearm or suppressor into a Trust involves a ton more paperwork, as of 2016, than registering it to just one individual. And the MAIN reason that folks resorted to Trusts in the past, was to avoid the requirement of local law enforcement sign-off, especially in areas where local law enforcement would NOT sign off, period!! Well, that’s no longer the case, as NFA NO LONGER REQUIRES LAW ENFORCEMENT SIGN-OFF FOR TRANSFERRING OR REGISTERED CLASS III FIREARMS OR SUPPRESSORS, as of July, 2016.
  16. Q:: How much does Tigon III Enterprises, Inc. charge to handle the transfer of a pistol or rifle from an out-of-state purchase into Michigan?
    A:  $25.00 for a rifle, and $40 for a pistol/handgun. Again, if you purchase the firearm from us, there is no dealer paperwork fee.
  17. Q: How easy is it to fill out and submit the paperwork for an NFA/BATFE transfer?
    A:  We do most of the paperwork for you, and literally “hold your hand” through the process. As such, we have yet to have ONE customer make any mistakes on this application process, in the several years we’ve been a Class III dealership.
  18. Q: What are the advantages of purchasing NFA items (suppressors, A.O.W.’s, fully automatic firearms) through an NFA Trust or LLC?
    A:  By doing so, your beneficiaries/trustees go through much less hassle inheriting your items. Plus, these items can be shared by all who are listed in the Trust as beneficiaries, or as officers of the LLC. And the liability factor is greatly reduced. HOWEVER….AS OF 2016, EVERY PERSON LISTED IN THE TRUST WILL REQUIRE A BACKGROUND CHECK, WHICH INCLUDES PASSPORT PHOTO’S AND FEDERAL FINGERPRINT CARDS (we provide the latter).

Comments are closed.